Thursday, March 19, 2009

aging gracefully, being an adult, and working with kids...WTF?

MIND - So as I think about my 35th birthday and the "goals" I have created (or rather burdened myself with) regarding that date, I find myself trying to decipher adulthood.

Am I still in the young adult phase because I love hip hop? No, seriously, hear me out. I was in college when hip hop exploded on the scene, and it hasn't really left the night club play list...so as I go out and find younger friends in Japan, inevitably we drink the night away to hip hop. There is something very surreal about 20-somethings singing to Biggie and Mary. Of course, I use my usual, "I had pubes/permanent teeth/was potty trained when you were just born" line a lot here in Japan. Never mind that these kids probably know more hip hop history than I do!

Is it because I'm not married and/or a mother? Quite possibly. I always tell my sisters that unlike them, I have no living, breathing person reminding me of the passage of time or lifelong responsibilities of parenthood AKA adulthood. Even when I had dogs (which btw, I VERY STRONGLY do not think of as children/babies/people), those turds never grew/aged/or got potty trained, so we were in this weird time warp together. lol.

Maybe it's because I'm the middle child in my family. I've been the youngest (to two older sisters) and oldest (to two younger siblings) and aunty (to six awesome kids) all at the same time. The names used to taunt me as a youth have paid off since. I am Forever the Queen of the Milk (prep chef), Queen of the Loft (lone traveler), and Rachel's/Tee's sister (personal assistant/party pal extra-whore-dinaire).

At the end of the day, my mother's words ring true, as they almost always do with me. "Marge, you are on your own journey and the time for you to do certain things will come." She usually segues into spiritual reminders after this kind of intro...so I will "segue" into the body portion of my blog. :)

BODY - HELP! My neck is wrinkling! This is the real reason 35 is stirring up such a rebellion! I mean, heck, I've been hiding the "snake" since college so I have come to accept this genetic curse (okay, okay, BC pills and nicotine have not helped). I can wear pants, suntan, put make-up on it if I really care. As for the saggy boobs, there are some awesome bras with the latest and greatest technology to help remedy that. I can even wear body stockings or special tops to camouflage the little gut. But what, now I gotta start wearing scarves? baubled necklaces? turtlenecks? COME ON! I should just be grateful for the healthy body, right? Okay, but if you have any secrets for neck wrinkles, let me know!

SPIRIT - Feeling like a breakthrough is coming on. Must be Spring Fever.

LANGUAGE BARRIER OR CULTURAL BRIDGE? Ask Tet.
(My Valentine's Day Chocolate....usually women give chocolate to men on Feb 14 and men reciprocate on Mar 14 "White Day")

What do you think about marriage?

I don't know, I never marriage. Marriage equal human people can't live alone. So human usually is independent and makes family. And child have a grandchild. Grandchild want grand grandchild. This is history. This is human's instinct, I think. right? So same eating, same sex, same sleeping. So same marriage. You will marriage me future. (I get this stressed look on my face.) Don't (he copies my expression). I don't like your deep thinking. It's not good. Baby? Why you write this? My English isn't good enough. So your family is reading? Sh!t. This is a little inside joking. So please writing PS.

PS Today we talk about instinct because today's Margaret super drunk. Wake up, eating too much, and s*x too much, and sleeping too much. And wake up, eating. It was...dangerous.

1 comment:

Mabel said...

Maki and Tet!...I love the way you two are both involved in this blog.
Tet, I read all the other Barrier/Bridge entries to Rachel and Jun and we all loved it. It made us laugh because you were able to get to the main point of your ideas...Hungry Margaret is dangerous and she says "Key.Key.Key."