Tuesday, April 7, 2009

kids, weddings, and spring fever



Today I'm posting pictures so you can see firsthand what I've been up to. Due to popular demand, the "Ask Tet" section will be entered in full.

LANGUAGE BARRIER OR CULTURAL BRIDGE? Ask Tet

What do you think about hosting my sister and niece in Japan in June?
Esther come? Exciting so if she come Japan is maybe is now image, and come image is different. Japanese image is Cherry Blossom, sushi, samurai, tempura, but come, image is different. Is a building, city. And she know Osaka.

What do you mean?
Osaka is a city. So foreigner people image of Japan is ninja, I don't know...anime. Truth is, I think almost same American. So when I was 19, I went to America. I went California. So my image America is rock music, hip hop music, car, is a Hollywood movie. Inside is very cool, do you understand? So I watch American movie and everybody is so cool, so I think cool. So I went to America and everybody is same Japan. Everybody is same. Usually is working people, nothing famous people is same Japan. So when I'm culture shock....Esther and Estee maybe is culture shock.

Why?
So usually is culture shock is if I go to different culture, image difference. But this culture shock, come inside to Japan and it's same America. McDonald's, eating, city, same. Okay, finish? Okay, see you.

LESSON: Tetsuya believes people will be shocked to discover that Japan is not as different from America as they think. Movies and media perpetuate stereotypes, but cities are generally the same in his opinion. Margaret thinks he should live in Vailoa, Makaha, DC, Charlotte, and Orlando before making any firm decisions about culture shock.

1 comment:

Mabel said...

Tet is the man. I love his view on Japan and his view on your views. I also love the spring flix. Are you suffering from allergies there?